VetCares
VetCares, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets
51052018

can dogs take ondansetron ODT tablets

Customer Question

can dogs take ondansetron ODT tablets
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.

VetCares :

Hello. I am Dr. A. What is going on with Maisie?

VetCares :

If your question is whether or not ondansetron is used in dogs, yes it is. However, please understand that you should not be medicating Maisie unless under the direction of your veterinarian. It is not a drug without potential for adverse effects and is really used for severe intractable vomiting. The reasons for Maisie's vomiting need to be explored, vs. medicating through it. Should you have any follow up questions, I am on and off yet today.

VetCares :

Hi-

VetCares :

I see that you are now in chat. What is happening with Maisie?

Customer:

she has been examed.....continues to vomit and arch trying to vomit.....has had a complet workup.....appears to be food related.......allergic to chicken........fills her intestine, stomach upper/lower GI with gas that she cannot pass.....cries in pain.........

VetCares :

poor girl! how long has this been going on?

Customer:

since yesterday morning

VetCares :

true food allergy is quite rare in dogs and typically results more in a malabsorption. Is it possible that she's eaten stuffing out of a toy, or anything else that may have blocked her?

Customer:

no.........seems to be after she eats anything with chicken in it......can;t determine anything else that would be causing this.......

VetCares :

ok. well, ondansetron is specifically contraindicated for cases of gastric distension, so you really don't want to go that route.

Customer:

hummmm then what would you suggest

VetCares :

Has she urinated or defecated, and normal on both counts?

Customer:

yes she has urinated and passed stool .....drinks and wants to eat.....but is really lethargic

VetCares :

she saw her vet yesterday for this?

Customer:

yes.......x-rays, lab.......pancratic bloodl workup too

VetCares :

the chicken she ate--this is dog food, or did she get into some roast chicken? Any bones she could have gotten into?

Customer:

boiled chicken and chicken pockets for pills only

VetCares :

what pills other than zantac?

Customer:

thats it

VetCares :

and did the labwork results come back, or still awaiting those?

VetCares :

as far as what to do now re: feeding, I would keep it very simple-boiled lean hamburger and white rice.

VetCares :

2 parts rice to 1 part hamburger and small amounts only

Customer:

lab was negative......gas was all over her insides per the x-ray,,,,,,gave her rice this AM....ate it all, 3 hours later.....puked it all up

VetCares :

by small amounts, I mean a couple of tablespoons

Customer:

okay......just had her out and she tried to puck

VetCares :

ok. the biggest question remains--what is causing those gase filled loops. Did your vet say anything about her stomach? Definitely no dietary indiscretion that you can think of? She get into a bag of treats? anything?

Customer:

no.....her stomach is clear......no bag of treats ....she only receives holestic food treats when she is given a treat........

VetCares :

but her stomach wasn't distended too? just gas filled small intestine?

VetCares :

(as you can see--it is fairly challenging to do anything without access to her labs and x-rays)

Customer:

her entire gastrial intestinal, large and small bowel were filled

VetCares :

but my concern, with the fact that nothing is staying down well and there is GI distension, is that there is a high GI blockage, more likely partial than full as she did defecate.

Customer:

the vet checked this,,,,,,,,nothing........passes freely...had 3 movements this AM

VetCares, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets
Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.
hello? I'm not sure what happened, but more than happy to continue the conversation. As for her stool--normal diameter stool? normal color and consistency?
Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.

At any rate, my concern here remains for partial obstruction. A more rare situation would be gastrointestinal torsion. I am concerned about Maisie's pain if she is crying out, and unfortunately, I do think that you might want to consider emergency clinic care. I do appreciate that it gets rather costly, but while I am not able to place my finger directly on what is happening, I don't like that she is painful. I wish you both well, and again, am still here should you want to bounce anything off--Dr. A