Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

Hello, My 4 year old whippet has awful neck pain-she was yelping

Hello, My 4 year old whippet has awful neck pain-she was yelping when she moved certain ways and would not eat. I took her to vets who have x rayed her and cant find anything specific showing up. She is on Tramadol three times a day and Rilexine 300 twice a day. She has started eating but is not herself, she seems very nervy and is still occasionally crying out in pain.
Do you think the tramadol is the correct painkiller for her?

Thank you
Mrs Graham

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Customer:

Hi, just wondering if you think tramadol is the right painkiller for my whippet.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Tramadol is a narcotic painkiller with no non-inflammatory properties --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I might be inclined to utilize a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory med -- or even a steroid might be called utilized to decrease inflammation.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This might reduce the pain longer term.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If this is due to inflammation -- sometimes you do not want to reduce the pain completely --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

so that further injury does not occur --

Customer:

My vet thinks she may have some inflammation inbetween the discs in her neck, which have not showed up in her xray. She definately is not herself and seems a bit spaced out.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I understand - you have made the right steps -- this can take up to 6 weeks to improve.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

In some cases -- longer or minimal imporvement occurs --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

But many cases respond to antiinflammation medications -- (which reduce pain) and may need tramadol for pain as well.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

To be able to move neck to eat etc --

Customer:

My vet has suggested referring her to the vet med school in Edinburgh but I would rather wait and see how she get on. Wondered what you think.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If she is making imporvements in the first week -- then continuing at home is ok -- but if this is not making any imporvement and if it is getting worse =-- and you wish to diagnose and treat -- then this is the correct step .

Customer:

This is the first whippet I have had, after keeping border terriers for many years. They are completely different dogs, she is a lovely girl, but quite wimpish, bless her.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

They are more sensitive to pain as well -- - You are most welcome - -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian