Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

my dog is pacing around and wont settle down and to to sleep.

Customer Question

my dog is pacing around and won't settle down and to to sleep. He has done this all day. slightly panting and acting like there is a storm coming, but there is not.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question about Max, I'm sorry you didn't receive a reply immediately, did you still require assistance?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am curious why it took so long as this is my first time to try this service.

About the dog... I've called the Emergency room and we eliminated bloat since his is still eating. My regular vet is out today, so I can only drop him off. He is still pacing around and only slept when he got curled up in my recliner. He has slept for about 45 min. only.

Currently he is still pacing and whining... I'm just stumped ...
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
In the middle of the night, there sometimes are no experts available to answer questions, unfortunately. Most nights there are experts available around the clock, but apparently last night we weren't so fortunate.

Pacing and whining are usually due either to pain, or anxiety. In an older German Shepherd, we tend to be concerned about possible hip and spine arthritis, as these are common issues, though it would be uncommon to see these signs appear suddenly unless there was a recent increase in activity, such as playing ball or running a lot more than usual, for example.

Anxiety attacks in dogs are something like panic attacks in people - there is often no identifiable cause, but a sense of overwhelming worry occurs, and often this passes with time, but sometimes anti-anxiety medicines such as diazepam or alprazolam are needed to help reduce the anxiety level.

Benadryl is sometimes helpful as it induces drowsiness, and may let a dog in this situation rest and relax a little. 1 mg per pound of body weight is the usual dose given.