Dr.B
Dr.B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Purdue University.11 years in private practice.
3488147

Would blood in the stool and sneezing be related in any way

Would blood in the stool and sneezing be related in any way? My yorkie is only 9 weeks old and i worry we bought a sick dog.

Thank you.l
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.B replied 5 years ago.

Dr.B :

Hello- I'm Dr. B a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to try to help you and Maggie- are you still there?

Dr.B :

Don't try to accept yet- wait unitl the end- just type for now. How long have you had Maggie?

Dr.B :

The system says you are still typing.......sometimes it locks and I don't get your message- if you are still typing just send what you have so far, then keep going. that way I know you are still there and the system isn't locked.

Customer:

yes i am, thank you for your time

Dr.B :

Hello!- How long have you had maggie?

Customer:

only two weeks now.

Dr.B :

Where did she come from- breeder? rescue? pet store?

Customer:

She came from a breeder.

Dr.B :

OK. So I think you have 2 seperate problems here. The sneezing and coughing can be allergies, respiratory infection, a problem with her sinuses or upper airways......quite a long list. Blood in the stool in a puppy is usually from parasites, although there is quite a long list of possible causes as well. I would be most suspecious of a paraiste called coccidia. Be sure to take a stool sample with you to the vet so they can test for it. If my guesses are correct, none of the possible causes are life threatening, but should be checked out and treated today if possible.......

Customer:

That is a relief. I do have one additional question though. Is it ok to train our puppy with treats? We have been using a half strip of Pupperoni as a motivator and Maggie really likes them but now i wonder if she is too young for this.

Dr.B :

It is fine to use treats as a training reward! The only thought I have is that Pupperoni is pretty high in fat and sodium, so you may want to read some labels and pick something that is somewhat healthier. But it Pupperonis are the only thing she likes and you use it wisely, it should be fine.

Customer:

thank you for your time doctor. I will take her to a professional today for a checkup.