Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My nuetered male dogs penis is exposed and wont retract

My nuetered male dog's penis is exposed and won't retract
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
How far out is it?
Does the penis look really swollen?
How long has it been out?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It was fully out, swollen, and dark red. It has now mostly retracted, but still appears slightly swollen and is very red.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
You are describing paraphimosis, which can cause serious injury to the penis/urethra. Permanent injury sometimes.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/paraphimosis-and-phimosis/page1.aspx

Even if improved, well worth getting into a vet, today, for an evaluation of the urethral tissue to ensure there has been no other injury.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anything that we can do at home tonight to help him until we can see the vet in the morning?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
I can't advise you wait that long.
Injury to part of the urethra can result in compromised blood flow to part of the penis.
You really don't want that.

Definitely worth at least an exam to ensure no immediate care is needed.

I really don't want to make any unsafe over-the-counter suggestions unless you really can't get into a vet. These injuries can be very simple, but can be quite bad and you are still observing swelling.