Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.

my dog keeps biting his tail and whining. has random burst

my dog keeps biting his tail and whining. has random burst of energy but other than the burst has no energy and is having trouble standing still, shakes and when is is sitting he keeps wobbling
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

Is he scooting at all? Licking the area?

Customer:

more nibbling his tail..no licking or scooting

dogdoc4u :

What part of his tail?

Customer:

the top and the tip

dogdoc4u :

So the base and the tip?

Customer:

yes

dogdoc4u :

What part of the country do you live in?

Customer:

denver colorado

dogdoc4u :

OK, any chance there are fleas?

Customer:

no

dogdoc4u :

The only two other options are going to be his anal glands are irritating him and they need to be expressed (most likely) or he has a parasite that is causing the irritation

dogdoc4u :

The anal gland issue is easily resolved by your groomer or a technician at your vet clinic can express

Customer:

would that explain the wobbling and loss of balance

dogdoc4u :

The parasite issue would be treated with an oral medication/ dewormer

dogdoc4u :

If they are impacted or painful a dog can appear this way

dogdoc4u :

Is he chasing his tail at all?

Customer:

not really

dogdoc4u :

OK

Customer:

so it could be either his anal glands or parasites?

dogdoc4u :

The only other reason a dog would chew their tail is anxious energy or a mite of some kind that is irritating the skin but not very likely in this situation

dogdoc4u :

Yes

Customer:

thats it..

Customer:

ok thank you..

dogdoc4u :

The chewing not the wobbliness...

Customer:

ok well he wobbles more than anything

dogdoc4u :

It is possible there is something else going on entirely

dogdoc4u :

Any chance he could have gotten into anything: trash, plants, etc?

Customer:

im not sure..

dogdoc4u :

OK

Customer:

possibly trash

dogdoc4u :

The wobbliness is a concern, how long has it been going on?

Customer:

since like 130

Customer:

he was fine this morning..its been going on for about 2 hours

dogdoc4u :

Has it gotten any better/ worse?

Customer:

i feel like its been the same

dogdoc4u :

If there is a concern he might have ingested something it would probably be best for a vet to examine him to make sure there is nothing serious going on at this point

Customer:

could he just be constipated if he had ingested something

dogdoc4u :

Not likely to show the signs you are describing. I do not think that is the problem

Customer:

ok if he had ingested something would it be like stuck in a tract somewhere and that is why he is possibly acting this way

dogdoc4u :

No, I am concerned that he has metabolized it and is causing these symptoms. Meaning that it is already in his system not that it is causing a gi problem

Customer:

would it just go away or just create a bigger problem

dogdoc4u :

There is no way to tell at this point without an examination

Customer:

ok thank you he just threw up

dogdoc4u :

OK, sorry

dogdoc4u :

I know how difficult it is to see them ill

Customer:

yeah its ok i am going to let him get finished throwing up and then see if he acts better

Customer:

thank you so much

dogdoc4u :

You are welcome

dogdoc4u :

Can I answer any other questions?

Customer:

no that is everything

dogdoc4u :

If he is not improving, I think it would be best to have him examined

dogdoc4u :

OK

dogdoc4u :

Please let me know if you need any additional assistance

dogdoc4u :

If you would like to accept my answer, please press ACCEPT. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

dogdoc4u :

I would really appreciate it if you would press ACCEPT if you are satisfied with my responses. It is my only compensation from this site. Thank you

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.