Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Help. My dog ate a large sharp bone and seems to have pain

Help. My dog ate a large sharp bone and seems to have pain in his digestive tract and is not acting the same as he normally does. How can I help him desolve or pass this sharp bone quickly and safely?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How long has it been since he ingested the bone?

2- Can you describe his symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He ate it Yesterday afternoon and he is inactive . He is not jumping like he usually does. He is walking with his tail between his legs . He acts like something is wrong when he looks at us. His stomach hurts to the touch. I am worried for him. He is usually very energetic.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

The symptoms that you are describing are consistent with a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. Unfortunately, there is really nothing you can give him to dissolve the bone. If there is an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract that is actually an emergency and needs to be seen by a veterinarian immediately, a quick xray will determine the exact problem. I know, this is not the answer you expected to hear, but, truly it is the only option. Have him checked by a veterinarian today.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what is your experience with the Cotton Ball remedy? feeding the dog cotton balls made with real cotton soaked in something he likes such as dairy creamer or liverworst for the cotton to wrap itself around the sharp object in aiding the elimination process ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
The cotton ball remedy is similar to feeding rice with the idea that the object will bind to the cotton or rice and move out of the intestine. I have never used or recommended cotton; I have with rice. The rice does help, but, it has to happen before the dog begins to have problem with the bone. Once the bone is logged and stuck in a segment of the intestinal tract, it is not moving and the only way out is via surgery. Your dog unfortunately is showing symptoms of the bone being logged and this is why I did not recommend trying to feed rice because it probably will not work. Plus, I would really like to see that he has an xray and a perforation is ruled out. The problem with a perforation of the intestinal tract is that bacterias from the intestines leak into the abdomen and the patient most likely will die. This is why it is so important to have them checked immediately and treated before a perforation happens. Highly recommend to have him checked so they can rule out a perforation/obstruction. The xrays will tell the vet if there is room to feed rice and see if he is able to pass it through.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.