Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian and practice owner with 12+ years experience.

my dogs nail was broken and turned sideways, when inspecting

Customer Question

my dogs nail was broken and turned sideways, when inspecting it it came off. I applied flour to it to stop bleeding, then bandaged it. Changed the bandage this morning, carefully washing it with warm water and the applying a bandage with anti-biotic and vet wrap, should I take him to the vet to further inspect the toe, because there is no nail on it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. A vet visit may not be necessary if it does not seem to bother him too much. An occasional lick is okay, but if he is giving it alot of attention, then your vet can help alleviate that. Otherwise, the nail should begin to regrow and heal. There is still a chance for infection in the nail bed, so you can use your antibiotic ointment twice daily. Overall, it sound like you did the right thing and this should heal up. Just watch for drastic irritation or discharge. I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Thanks
Dr. Jeff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should I keep the bandage and vet wrap on it, or does it need to air out? Confused, because of the licking comment????????????????
You could wrap it again today and tomorrow. However, I would change the bandage at least daily. This should give enough healing time to limit the amount of licking you may see. I hope this helps.
Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Veterinarian and practice owner with 12+ years experience.
If something is not clear, please followup.