Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

hello i just found a big red lump next to my dogs bottom. it

hello i just found a big red lump next to my dogs bottom. it is very hard and swollen she keeps licking it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- To make certain we are speaking of the same area, when you say bottom you mean the butt or bottom of the belly?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i mean it is directly adjacent to her butt and its very red/pink and swollen.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

1- Has she been rubbing her butt on the floor?

2- If her anus was a clock at what number would you put the swelling?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
she normally rubs her bum on the floor, so i didnt think anything about it - she had her anal glands expressed about 2 years ago because she was having a lot of smelly flatulence and nothing has happened since, but i always worm her, swelling is at 2 or 3 o clock.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

The swelling that you are seeing is consistent with an impacted/infected anal gland. When the anal gland becomes occluded and the secretion has no where to go, the gland can become infected and rupture or herniate through the side of the butt. What you are seeing is the swelling the preceeds the rupture.

Treatment involves expressing the anal gland and placing her on oral antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications. For now, do not let her lick the area or she is going to make it worst.

To avoid this problem in the future, she should have her anal glands expressed every couple of months; no need to see the vet to have them expressed; groomers often express them. A good indicator that the glands need to be expressed is when the dog rubs their butt on the floor. Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello it is evening time here in West Australia, should i wait til tomorrow morning to take her to the vet, i am worried it will rupture it is very large and she is still licking even though i try to stop her.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

There is a good possibility it will rupture. If you can have her seen now it would be better. But, this is not an emergency that is life threatening it can wait until the morning.

To stop her from licking place a t-shirt on her to cover her butt. Slide her back legs through the sleeves and tie shirt along the back.

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.