CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog has been fighting a nasty GI infection. He has had

Customer Question

My dog has been fighting a nasty GI infection. He has had loss of appetite, bloody diarrhea, pale gums and only wants to drink water. Please help b/c we can't afford a vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

A puppy with GI signs such as this, the most likely causes for these signs include infectious causes, inflammatory causes, or eat something they shouldnt

Infectious causes could be worms, protozoa, bacteria, and even viruses.

In a young puppy - I am VERY worried about another possible infectious cause - parvovirus...

Click here to read more on Parvovirus: CLICK HERE

What can we try at home and is over the counter to help?

- You can try to offer small amounts of pedialyte for hydration and electrolytes. You can even purchase a dropper from your local pharmacy to offer the water/pedialyte mixture by mouth.

- A calorie dense nutritional supplement such as nutrical (LINK HERE)

- Another option would be baby food. If you are going to try this, please purchase baby food that does not have any ingredients such as garlic or onion.

Many baby foods now will only have the ingredients of the item and water...for example chicken and water. But they will not have any other salts or seasonings. This is what you need. Just chicken and water or beef and water
for example.

You can also rub some karo syrup or pancake syrup on the gums for blood sugar help!

But if the signs do not resolve or worsen, I would recommend seeing a veterinarian.

Signs as you describe can quickly lead to severe dehydration and a low blood sugar!

When you go, please remember to bring in a stool sample to check for parasites.

I hope this information helps and guides you!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.