Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my 8 year old dog has developed warts all over her body, back,

my 8 year old dog has developed warts all over her body, back, sides & feet. My vet surgically removed 5 warts a couple of years ago and now we have a whole lot more. I do not want to have them surgically removed and would like to find a vet who will freeze them off. Do I just call around until I find a vet who uses this procedure? I also want to know if we can stop warts from developing.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

What type of dog is Niki?

Customer:

rat terrier/chiuahua (sp)

dogdoc4u :

Unfortunately there is no way to prevent warts in certain breeds as they develop naturally.

dogdoc4u :

Primarily seen in Llasa's and Poodles

dogdoc4u :

There is no list of clinics that have this service

dogdoc4u :

It is just a matter of calling around and asking as you call if they know of anyone who can do this

Customer:

ok

Customer:

is there anyway to stop them from developing?

dogdoc4u :

No there is not

dogdoc4u :

They just develop in certain breeds

Customer:

ok, she didn't always have them for most of her life so I thought something was causing them

dogdoc4u :

No it is common as dogs age

dogdoc4u :

I have dogs that have one or two as they get older then get to 10 and develop 10 or more in 6 months!

Customer:

my husband wants to freeze them off at home but I don't want him to do that, Niki is very sensitive and it would scare her

dogdoc4u :

Yes I would not recommend doing it at home

Customer:

so, I gues that answers my questions, thank you

dogdoc4u :

Not a lot of vet clinics have the ability to do this but you can also consider laser which would be effective and you can get it done awake on low power

dogdoc4u :

You are welcome

Customer:

ok, thanks for the suggestion. I'll go searching

dogdoc4u :

Good luck!

dogdoc4u :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please reply back. If you would like to accept my answer, please press ACCEPT. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!