Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My golden retriever cross is nearly 12 has been falling over

My golden retriever cross is nearly 12 has been falling over tonight. He has been having a bit of weakness in in legs for a few months. But tonight he keeps loosing his balance and stumbling like he is having trouble with his left side.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
Hello there,

Are the eyes normal or shifting back and forth?

Is he falling to the left side?

Is there a head tilt to the left?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
His eyes are steady. Most times he can walk alright but then he will start to trip and panics, even when seated he can suddenly fall over. He is dribbling alot because he is a bit paniced. His head is straight. When he falls my other dog runs to him as if he is going to attack him.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
In a dog this age these symptoms can be caused by several things. Vestibular syndrome is not likely without a head tilt and shifting eyes. Stroke activity, inner ear infections, brain lesions, anemia, head trauma, neck problems and heart disease are all possible. I would keep the dog confined and away from stairs until he can be checked over by your vet. There is not much to do at home in these cases accept supportive care until a specific diagnosis is made.