Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM
Experience:  Small animal vet - practicing since 2004
6310252

My dog has an open wound, it started out as a black bump. I

My dog has an open wound, it started out as a black bump. I didn't even notice it until it had busted open and blood was oozing from it. My 12 year old son said he noticed the black spot approximately two weeks ago. It is now open and he keeps chewing at it and is making it worse. He now has a white spot in the center like a ball in the wound itself. Please help. The animal hospital my husband talked to tonight wants more money than we can afford right now. Please help us. Thanks Yvonne

Dr. Deb :

Hi there, I'm Deb, a licensed veterinarian.

Dr. Deb :

Where exactly is Harley's wound/lesion located? How is Harley acting otherwise - normal appetite, thirst, no vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer:

hi

Customer:

actually Harley's wound is down toward the bottom of his spine near his tail

Customer:

I don't know what to do to help him

Customer:

Yes he did vomit, he has been sleeping a lot now and he keeps knawing at the wound...it looks awful

Customer:

Do I have to hit accept on this button to get more chat response time with you?

Dr. Deb :

No, don't hit accept yet.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Deb :

Did this start out looking like a small mass-like lesion - meaning raised?

Dr. Deb :

Does it bleed a lot or is it more like an ooze?

Customer:

what do you think is wrong with him? My husband said Harley now has a white spot in the middle of the opening where the black spot was....it is now just open wound. Well yes when I noticed it it was black then bleeding

Dr. Deb :

How large is it approximately in inches?

Customer:

my husband said it looked like someone knawed on his skin...yesterday it was a black ball that was kind of gooshy, now it is open

Customer:

He's looking at Harley right now for you.

Customer:

I'm sorry but I have a really weak stomache. I'm just typing everything. We wanted to take him to the Vet hospital tonight but we cannot afford it once we called and found out how much it would be.

Customer:

he says now there is no blood it's just bit open with a white round thing under the black now....he said it is probably an inch

Customer:

he said there is a white thing inside almost like a ball inside of the cut...oh God, he just showed me.....it looks awful

Customer:

he's our baby....he's like family to us....he's just a little small maltese, please can you tell us what it may be and what to do? It was bleeding but now it's not....now it's just white and round.

Customer:

are you there?

Dr. Deb :

This could be as simple as a severely infected hair follicle, or an instect bite that has become infected, or something as serious as a tumor. It sounds like it could wait until normal business hours at your vets office, that way no emergency fee/costs. But, you need to keep him away from it. You don't happen to have an elizabethan collar in the house from any past surgeries he may have had? If not, you can pick up one at Pet Smart or other pet supply store. You (your husband) can clean it up with some warm soapy water, and then apply some Neosporin. You can do all this until you can get him to your regular vet. Your regular vet can give you a better idea of what he/she thinks is going on. They can also prescribe antibiotics if needed.

Dr. Deb :

The white bump he see's may be the subcutaneous tissue.

Dr. Deb :

The tissue may be swollen.

Customer:

no we don't have that kind of collar

Dr. Deb :

In what region of the country do you live?

Customer:

pittsburgh PA.

Customer:

your answer dissapeared, I was going to show my husband what you said

Dr. Deb :

So, all your stores are closed - ugh. You can try giving Harley some Benadryl tonight. This may slow him down from digging at it for tonight, until you can get an e-collar tomorrow. How much does Harley weigh? I'll post that paragraph again.

Dr. Deb :

Customer:

approx 8-10 lbs, he's really small

Customer:

it has the black bump with green puss like stuff next to the white...gum looking thing...I just looked at it myself

Dr. Deb :

Do you have Benadryl in the house? And are they tablets, capsules, or liquid?

Customer:

the black bump is mucas like and has gotten larger from when I looked at it yesterday

Customer:

I have a spray

Customer:

that is benadryl...will that hurt him?

Dr. Deb :

We need oral Benadryl

Customer:

the black bump sits with the white bump almost as if the white bump is attached but the black one has green and white pussy or slimy stuff

Customer:

ok, I will run to walmart and get's some for him

Dr. Deb :

While you are at Walmart - just check the pet section - they may have an elizbethan collar. I doubt it, but you never know.

Customer:

okay, so do you think it's something very seriouse? Do you think he is in pain?

Dr. Deb :

If Harley has any more vomiting, or increased lethargy... you may need to seek veterinary care sooner.

Customer:

I was reading a column about a dog that had a cyst...do you think that could be what is wrong?

Dr. Deb :

It's very difficult for me to say, as I can't examine him or see the mass. And yes, cysts can look nasty and can become infected, as can hair follicles (sort of like a big zit).

Dr. Deb :

I would definately have it looked at on Monday for sure.

Customer:

okay, well thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it very much. I will try to get him into the vets on Monday.

Dr. Deb :

You are so welcome.... I hope all goes well.

Dr. Deb :

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided... if you wouldn't mind clicking on the "accept" icon. I am not compensated for my efforts unless you accept, even if you've made a deposit. The portion of your deposit that I would receive, is not transferred to me unless you accept. Thanks very much...

Customer:

I will go to walmart now...Have a great night.....Also, I do not want my cc to be charged every month only this one time....how can I make sure I don't get charged again after tonight?

Dr. Deb :

I don't know how that end of Just Answer works, I think they only charge you this once.

Customer:

I only wanted to pay once of the required 18.00 to speak with someone tonight

Customer:

okay, do you happen to know if there is a number I can call?

Dr. Deb :

You should only have to pay the $18 as far as I know.... I don't know who you would call. I would check the window or page that has your account information.

Customer:

Okay, thanks so much...Have a wonderful night!

Dr. Deb :

You too!

Dr. Deb :

Deb