CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my dogs eating habits have changed. He used to gobble up his

my dog's eating habits have changed. He used to gobble up his food as soon as I put it down for him but in the past few days, I have to stand over him and prompt him to eat. He will eat his food but it seems like he is not enjoying it anymore.
Also, I was away for a week and he stayed with my aunt and uncle. His odd eating habits started when I returned from vacation. My aunt said he was eating fine during the week.
His other behavior is normal. He wants to go outside, has regular bowles, drinks plenty of water, goes on long walks, goes swimming. Could he be bored with the food? Was the change of schedule throwing him off? Should I take him to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Have you noticed weight loss?

Change in stool?

Vomiting?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no. None of that.

To be quite honest - I am going to lead to behavioral a little - meaning not a true medical disease or problem.

Especially in such a young dog.

If this were a 15 year old dog, not a 1.5 year old dog, I would be more concerned about a true - underlying disease.

My personal dog - happy and healthy, at times goes on hunger strikes for 48 hours, but then is back to normal - why? I dont know...

If you see stool changes, having a fecal sample performed is a good idea - but my suspicion is that this is more behavioral than medical.

I would try to transition to another diet - to see if there is a better appetite with that - different flavor of the same brand or even a different brand - but right now have a hard time recommending expensive tests as this is not likely medical in any way.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is what I was thinking but I just needed an expert opinion. Thank you very much for your help.
Glad to help!!!