Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

Is lorazepam safe for dogs and at what doseage. I have a 12

Is lorazepam safe for dogs and at what doseage. I have a 12 yr old border collie female weights 45 lbs. and appears to have anxiety. I am wondering is lorazepam is safe and is trazadone safe. thank you. Kris Parker
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 3 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Customer:

Hi, Doctor,

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Lorazepam is approved for this use in dogs -- however, the safety margin with diazepam is greater. Considering the age of your dog, blood work would be advised before giving a longer acting benzodiazepine. Not necessary with diazepam if for short term use.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This is a controlled substance -- and does require prescription -- it is not advised to give with out an exam due to possible side effects.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

As for Trazadol -- it is not approved for use in dogs

Dr. BJ Hughes :

And I cannot locate documentation of its clinical use.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

So the biggest concerns are 1) is the anxiety due to anything in specific?

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX really appreciate the information and will follow your advice.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

2) What is the best and safest way to help

Customer:

No, I think Molly is hyper and probably a little frustrated. she is very bossy and barks alot.

Customer:

If I could calm her down it would help. My husband has Parkinson's and that is not helping the situation

Customer:

We also have a chocolate lab (female, very laid back) and 3 cats one of which is a Maine Coon --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I understand completely -- with her personality -- medications would be an adjunct to behavior modification training. Alone -- the medications would simply put her in a bit of a stupor -- and not deal with the behavior. For barking -- there are some alternatives -- I have had some clients have excellent results with citronella spray collars -- that give a slight spray whne a bark is made. It has a light citrus smell -- but is not overwhelming.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The owners that have worked with this have been pleased.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try the citronella spray collar before I try medication.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There are some medications that might apply -- but diazepam might be a starting place-- which is actually better for phobia. But there are some calming medications that you may inquire about -- with these a general practitioner is wise to consutl a vet certified in behavior treatments.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

(unless they have great experience) -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome-

Customer:

thank you.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.