Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 1 yr old boxer/pit has had diarrhea for a week. Watery

My 1 yr old boxer/pit has had diarrhea for a week. Watery orange stools abt 3 times a day. No other symptoms: Alert, active, playful, hungry, thirsty. What can I try to resolve this at home and how long should I wait to take him to the vet?
1. Any vomiting?
2. Still eating okay?
3. did anything in his diet or routine at home change the few days before it all started?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No vomiting at all. He's a hungry boy. Embarrasingly, I'll admit hes been chewing on rawhide.
Okay,
No more rawhide...for now...

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

Pepto-bismol can be helpful:

Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Although a veterinary examination is always going to be recommended, especially with vomiting episodes and/or diarrhea, here is a bland diet recommendation:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast
Cooked white rice
Low-fat cottage cheese
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice
Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative.

He should see a vet if the diarrhea persists for longer than 72 hours (therefore, he already should be seeing a vet), if there is any blood in the diarrhea, if the appetite is depressed, or if there are any signs of straining to defecate or abdominal discomfort.

Hope that info helps
Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.