Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has a rash across his hind quarters back and under his

My dog has a rash across his hind quarters back and under his front legs. The vet yesterday has provided prednil 5mg, dose every second day. He is miserable with itching today and has made himself bleed. Is there anything I can do to ease his itching today at home so that he is more comfortable while the prednil takes effect?

Thank you
Tanya & Bobo
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. It can take a few days for the prednisone to kick in but dosing each second day is a very good way to give it to reduce the possibility of side effects. Hang on in there as in a great many cases this will help.

2. In the meantime I can tell you that I have known owners use over the counter products to soothe their dog's skin short term in such situations and report success.

3. Consider using the likes of calamine lotion or 0.5% hydrocortisone cream. Both these products could be applied twice a day for a five day period but not longer. If after five days your dog is still itchy you should see your vet again. The same would apply if you note any deterioration.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS