Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 14 years.

My pug has a big/long rash in his face, i dont know what is

My pug has a big/long rash in his face, i don't know what is causing this but it seems painful

What could be causing this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

Is the rash in the crevices of his skin folds in front of his eyes?

Customer:

Yes, in front of his right eye only

Customer:

looks like the rash is deep on his skin

dogdoc4u :

OK, these are usually due to the moisture from his eyes sitting in that crevice creating an infection

dogdoc4u :

It is important to keep that area as dry as possible, wiping it several times daily

dogdoc4u :

Sometimes they need to go on oral antibiotics and shampoo to control the inflammation/ infection

Customer:

what do you mean by shampoo?

Customer:

do i need a prescription for oral antibiotics?

dogdoc4u :

Yes, unfortunately...

dogdoc4u :

Shampoo that has antibacterial effect on the area to treat it locally as well as oral antibiotics to treat it systemically

Customer:

ok....so i will have to take him to a clinic then

dogdoc4u :

You can try wiping and keeping it dry for a few days but if it is that red +/- discharge/ pain it would be advisable to begin more aggressive treatment

dogdoc4u :

You can also try benadryl for pain at 1 mg per pound every 8 hours to control itching

Customer:

is the same benadryl used for people?

dogdoc4u :

Yep

Customer:

can i buy it over the counter?

dogdoc4u :

Yes, you can even get the generic diphenhydramine, no need to get benadryl brand

dogdoc4u :

You can try an oatmeal-based pet shampoo on the area once daily for ten minutes. Do not allow him to rub it then wipe it off with a wet washclothe

dogdoc4u :

Again, if there is no improvement in a few days, I would recommend getting him on oral antibiotics

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try your recomendations and if not improvement i will take him to his vet.......i really appreciate the advise

dogdoc4u :

Glad I could help!

dogdoc4u :

Do you have any other questions I can help with today?

Customer:

I think that's old for now....thanks again

dogdoc4u :

If not and you are satisfied with my responses, please press ACCEPT so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Customer:

all for now

dogdoc4u :

Good luck!

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 14 years.