Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

My dog started acting erratic at around 8.30, running around

My dog started acting erratic at around 8.30, running around the house distressed throwing himself to the floor and wimpering. It took around 30mins and a bath to calm him down. We had not long returned from a walk where he ran off the lead. He was licking his paws alot i thought he might of picked something up out of the feilds hence the bath. He eveentually calmed down. We retired for the night. I have been downstairs with my dog for approx 50 mins. He again was distressed with rapid breathing, panting with some dropplets from his mouth. He seems to have settled, but is still breathing rapidly and not asleep
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

So it sounds like he is drooling heavily as well?

Customer:

No just dripping. He still seems a little distressed, although laying still breathing heavily

dogdoc4u :

When you say he "threw himself to the floor" could you describe? I am having a hard time picturing this!

Customer:

He would come into the room and just lie down on his side in one movement,with a heavy thud

dogdoc4u :

OK

dogdoc4u :

Any gurgling of his stomach or gas?

Customer:

Not that im aware of

dogdoc4u :

OK

dogdoc4u :

From what you describe I am suspicious he is nauseous, drooling (even dripping) and licking of legs can be an indication of this

dogdoc4u :

The increased breathing can go with this or pain...

dogdoc4u :

Can you count his breaths for one minute and tell me that number?

Customer:

ok

dogdoc4u :

Great

Customer:

96

dogdoc4u :

That is pretty fast. Is he panting?

Customer:

yes

dogdoc4u :

Can you tell me his gum color?

Customer:

pale pink

dogdoc4u :

How pale pink? It just helps me gauge things...closer to pink or pale?

Customer:

pink, his ears are warm and has a dry nose

dogdoc4u :

Do you have a thermometer? Digital or regular?

Customer:

yes

dogdoc4u :

Can you take his temperature for me please?

Customer:

can try. Guess you mean up his bum

dogdoc4u :

Yes, sorry

dogdoc4u :

You can use lubrication if you have it

Customer:

ok

dogdoc4u :

Trying to get a good picture of things...

dogdoc4u :

I hope you didn't get lost back there ;)

Customer:

cooper not as helpful as he could be. No chance up his bum. Had it in ear 38degc dont know if thats any good

dogdoc4u :

Not usually

dogdoc4u :

It can be off in the ear quite a bit. You can try the armpit but it just isn't as accurate

Customer:

ok

dogdoc4u :

Let me know if you are able to get it this way...sorry, hope no one got hurt!

Customer:

he seems happy to let me

dogdoc4u :

For the armpit but not the rear...?

Customer:

ok

dogdoc4u :

I will wait...

Customer:

taken from front left 38.6degc

dogdoc4u :

OK, give me a moment to do conversions

dogdoc4u :

OK that is normal but again it is not as accurate in the armpit

dogdoc4u :

How is he acting now?

dogdoc4u :

Has his panting reduced?

Customer:

still breathing heavily cuddled on my knee

dogdoc4u :

But sleeping?

dogdoc4u :

The biggest concerns right now are his back or gi discomfort

Customer:

his panting is stilll on and off. not sleeping. whats gi?

dogdoc4u :

Gastrointestinal

dogdoc4u :

I would recommend a veterinary examination in the morning at this point

dogdoc4u :

If he has any more incidences tonight, it might be warranted to get him to the er but it should almost be day there, correct?

Customer:

is there anything i can give him ie antacids?

dogdoc4u :

What antacids do you have available and how much does he weigh?

Customer:

i have rennies hes about 12kgs

dogdoc4u :

Uh, what are rennies? What is the main ingredient?

Customer:

calcium magnesium based, dont have the box, just checked google

dogdoc4u :

Could you get some pepcid (famotidine) or prilosec (omeprazole)? If they are what I think they are they will not be helpful

Customer:

Sorry no idea what you mean

dogdoc4u :

These are over the counter (no prescription needed) antacids you should be able to get at a grocery

dogdoc4u :

Sorry, I do not know what is available there

Customer:

Nothing open this time of night here. the main ingredients are calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate

dogdoc4u :

Yeah, that is like tums here. Not effective

dogdoc4u :

Nothing else?

dogdoc4u :

No 24 hour pharmacies there? Just out of curiosity, what time is it there?

Customer:

that would be right. nothing else

dogdoc4u :

ok

Customer:

3.45 am. We live in north east scotland. nearest supermarket 30 mins away, not likely to sell anything else

dogdoc4u :

OK, so your vet is open in 4 hours?

Customer:

normally 8.30

dogdoc4u :

OK

dogdoc4u :

If he is able to rest comfortably I think everything should be ok until then

dogdoc4u :

Keep an eye on his color, staying pink

Customer:

Ok will stay up with him till then, they do emergency if required. hes still breathing fast but is trying to sleep.

dogdoc4u :

That's good

Customer:

Thanks for the help and keeping me awake for the last hour

dogdoc4u :

LOL, no problem

dogdoc4u :

I am here for another hour or so if you need anything...

Customer:

Cheers

dogdoc4u :

Good luck to you both...if he can't settle again it is time to head in

dogdoc4u :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please reply back. If you would like to accept my answer, please press ACCEPT. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.