Dr. Michael Salkin, Big Island Vet
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 41 yrs. of experience.

why is my yorkie losing hair on his ears

Customer Question

why is my yorkie losing hair on his ears?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

bigislandvet :

Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

bigislandvet :

Hi - I'll be right with you.

bigislandvet :

I have three questions for you before we begin our chat...is the hair loss symmetrical - the same appearance on both ears? does it seem itchy to Stitch -does he scratch at the ears, in other words? are you seeing hair loss elsewhere on Stitch?

bigislandvet :

I'm going to guess that the answers to my questions are yes, not much, and no. You've described an ear margin seborrhea thought to be secondary to vasculitis in our thin eared breeds. Seborrhea is a descriptive term - the skin can become excessively dry and flaky, oily, inflamed or some combination of these qualities. Vasculitis means inflammation of the blood vessels. The etiology (cause) of these changes is elusive, but most respond nicely to a steroid containing cream. Your goal is to control the skin changes - cure may not be possible as this may have a genetic basis. Please respond with additional information, questions or concerns when you're back online.

Customer:

Hair loss is symmetrical. He doesnt scratch excessively at his ears. Just waking up in the course of stretching and what i would consider normal. He has no other hair loss.

bigislandvet :

Thank you. My educated guess stands then. Have Stitch's vet check the ears and see if my idea makes sense. If so, the vet will dispense a steroid containing cream such as Panalog or Otomax.

Customer:

Thanks so much for your help. Im very greatful ... P.S. Im in Ireland and live in the countryside where small animal practice isnt too developed. Vets are more busy with cattle and pigs and horses .... so its great to have an idea going to the vet ....

bigislandvet :

Oh dear...I understand. OK, go to the chemist and pick up the strongest generic OTC hydrocortisone cream you can find - probably 5%. Apply it to the affected areas twice daily. You should see a nice improvement within a week.

Customer:

Gosh ok ... Will do ... Thanks again and will let you know how I get on! :)

bigislandvet :

Yes, get back to me. I need to know how this works.

bigislandvet :

I'll save our chat.

Customer:

Super .. Chat to you in a week or so then

bigislandvet :

I'll look forward to it. My best to Stitch.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Big Island Vet
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 41 yrs. of experience.
Thank you!