CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dogs eye is all bright red(the white part of his eye).

My dog's eye is all bright red(the white part of his eye). He went to the groomer yesterday, and we called them back and asked if he was injured in any way. They said no, but that he was very stressed out and was thrashing around when he got his toenails clipped, and they think it is because of the stress. Can stress really cause the white of the eye to turn bright red?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

It sounds as if your dog may have a conjunctivitis. This can be from the shampoo used and irritation, but yes, it can also be from stress.

This link should help:

Options for at home care include:

- To try to warm compress the eye with a clean, damp, warm cloth. This will help with inflammation in the area.

- The second recommendation is to try to flush the eye with a sterile saline solution. I am referring to a normal, over the counter saline solution commonly found in the same aisle of the grocery story or drugstore as contact solution.

- You can also consider an antihistamine such as Benadryl in case there is an allergic component to this. The dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 25 pound dog should receive 25mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 8 to 12 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

If the signs do not improve - seeing your veterinarian tomorrow to see if there are other causes such as an infection or ulcer and considering topical antibiotics would be recommended.

I hope this helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.