Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM
Experience:  Small animal vet - practicing since 2004
6310252

What can I give my dog for sores in the mouth (cheeks) and sore gums I cant get her

What can I give my dog for sores in the mouth (cheeks) and sore gums? I can't get her to the vet until Thursday. She is an 11 yr. old Daschund. Her breath is normally bad, but it smells rotten now! She has sores on her cheeks (inside# XXXXX rubbing on her canines...

Dr. Deb :

Hi there, I'm Deb, a licensed veterinarian.

Customer:

Hi, I am Angie

Dr. Deb :

Hi Angie.... let me see if I can help.

Dr. Deb :

The sea salt and warm water would be okay, and would likely sooth. When was the last time you gave her the Tylenol, how much did you give, and how mucy does Dottie weigh?

Customer:

I gave her soft food with 1/2 of a finely crushed Tylenol (approx. 100 mg). Dottie is approx. 13 lbs.

Dr. Deb :

When was that?

Customer:

This morning, about 8 am...

Dr. Deb :

Did it seem to help at all?

Dr. Deb :

Is Dottie eating and drinking okay?

Dr. Deb :

Any vomiting?

Customer:

I was thinking about getting her some infant Tylenol, because of her weight and because it's liquid...

Customer:

I'm not sure if it really helped, because I was at work all day. No vomitting, eating and drinking okay, urinating and pooping just fine. I looked at her stool this afternoon, and it looked fine...no blood or weird color.

Dr. Deb :

How long has she had the sores?

Customer:

I'm thinking it's been a few days, but we didn't notice them until last night. Her breath really started to smell 2 days ago. It got real bad last night, so we checked her teeth/gums. Eeew.

Customer:

I just want to give her at least some comfort until we take her to the Vet.

Dr. Deb :

I'm worried that Dottie could have kidney disease. It can cause ulcers in the mouth, and bad breath. She is older, and if the sores are new, I would certainly be concerned about an underlying disease process like kidney disease. So, I would not give her any more Tylenol or any other medication until you know for sure that her kidneys and liver are functioning normally.

Customer:

I can use the warm water and sea salt, right?

Dr. Deb :

She could also have a tooth root abscess or just bad teeth, but I wouldn't expect new sores in her mouth.

Customer:

The smell of her breath smells like rotting flesh.

Dr. Deb :

Yes... the warm water and sea salt is perfectly fine.

Dr. Deb :

With a tooth root abscess, their appetite usuaally decreases, or they will chew on only the side opposite of the bad tooth.

Customer:

It's on both sides of her mouth...but she can eat small amounts of wet food. I will do the warm water and sea salt. Thank you!

Dr. Deb :

I hope all her bloodwork is normal

Dr. Deb :

and she simply needs a dental cleaning!

Customer:

Me, too. I appreciate all of your help! :)

Dr. Deb :

You are so welcome!!

Dr. Deb :

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided... if you wouldn't mind clicking on the "accept" icon. I am not compensated for my efforts unless you accept, even if you've made a deposit. The portion of your deposit that I would receive, is not transferred to me unless you accept. Thanks very much...