Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of eight years in small animal practice in England
40862463

My dog as a swollen anal gland. What can I do at home for

My dog as a swollen anal gland. What can I do at home for him currently?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 3 years ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and Maximus. I'm sorry that he has a swollen anal gland - as you are aware the smaller the patient the more likely they are to develop this condition, and little yorkies are very small.

Ultimately Maximus needs his anal gland emptying - and this isn't something that I would recommend doing at home. If this is done incorrectly then the anal gland can rupture - this is obviously very painful and would cause far more problems than you had originally. Most patients with a visible swelling also need antibiotics and anti-inflammatories to treat as they usually have an infection - possibly an abscess. Without looking at him myself I cannot be sure. Obviously you will need a vet visit for this - a routine non-emergency one will be fine.

To keep Maximus comfortable at home until you can get him to the vets then I would apply a warm compress to the area for ten minutes every couple of hours. This can help to reduce the inflammation. If there is a visible swelling then it is possible that Maximus has an abscess. If this is the case, then it may burst - and you will see a leaking hole near his bottom. If it does don't panic they do heal with the correct treatment (outlined above). You can improve things by bathing it with some warm salty water. Hydrogen peroxide would be too stingy for this condition.

If he is constipated this will make it worse, so if you think he is then switch him onto some wet food and add some olive oil into it to help. Long-term to prevent him getting this condition again add some fibre into his food. You can do this by adding a small amount of human high-fibre cereal, for example all-bran, or there is a veterinary product that can do the same job. Here it is protexin profibre, but your vet would be able to let you know.

I hope I've helped - if you have any questions then just hit 'reply' and I will get them and get back to you. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please hit 'accept'. Good luck, Rosie.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if I cannot get him in to a veterinarian today, and of course I cannot be home with him all day long everyday, will he be okay at home alone?

Thanks for getting back to me. He should be ok at home alone today if you can't get him in. Like I said this isn't an emergency - it's not life threatening, just uncomfortable for him. The potential problem is that if he spends the day licking it he could make the infection worse, especially if it bursts. If you have an e-collar then it would be a good idea to leave this on as a precautionary measure. If you don't have one, then don't worry about it as he should be fine to wait alone. Rosie.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thank you for your assistance.

You're welcome, and good luck, Rosie.
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of eight years in small animal practice in England