Dr Eli
Dr Eli, Veterinarian
Experience:  40 years of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery

My dog is coughing intermittently, it sounds as if she has

My dog is coughing intermittently, it sounds as if she has something caught in her throat. She is also licking her back foot a lot. This has been going on since yesterday evening, though I have heard her cough like this once in a while before.

Vets are closed here on Sundays, if it continues can I wait til tomorrow for help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Eli replied 5 years ago.

Good morning, Sorry Daisy is having this problem. The symptoms you describe sounds like tracheobronchitis which can mimic something caught in the throat. I think it is safe to wait until tomorrow, but I recommend giving her Benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound twice daily to help calm the cough. If there is inflammation in the foot she is licking, this should help reduce that. I hope this information helps, Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX