Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

my dog wont eat for 3 days now but will drink. she has a cold nose and is alert. She

my dog won't eat for 3 days now but will drink. she has a cold nose and is alert. She is a 10 yr old golden retriever. She was out on our property Tuesday, had her normal dinner but has not eaten since then. Our other golden has had the same regimen and he is fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Inappetance is, unfortunately, a very vague sign. Even if she isn't vomiting often, you can't completely rule out a gastrointestinal obstruction, especially if it is just a partial obstruction. A toxin ingestion or an underlying liver problem, pancreatitis, kidney problem and adrenal gland problem are all possible as well. Liver issues and pancreatitis would be most likely out of those possibilities. Lastly, with a 10 year old Golden Retriever, you can never rule out possible cancer. Besides offering some different dog food or chicken breast and rice, there is not really anything you can give at home to increase appetite. Getting her to eat most likely will involve treating the underlying problem. At this point, she would need some bloodwork and abdominal x-rays or ultrasound. At the very least, you vet may be able to prescribe mirtazapine to act as an appetite stimulant, but it still might not work that well unless the underlying issue is addressed. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.