Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog has very slimy saliva - drooling, is not Playful, barely

Customer Question

My dog has very slimy saliva - drooling, is not Playful, barely moving won't eat, tongue can be seen between teeth with mouth closed - he won't open his mouth for me. What is wrong with my Golden Retreiver..he will be a year old in september, he has not had his shots
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.

If you make him open his mouth is it really tight or is he painful?
Is he vomiting?
Can you check a rectal temperature on him with a digital thermometer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he fights me to open his mouth, He is not Whimpering or seeming to be in Pain, Looks More Nauseous or like stomach sickness, he is usually jumping all over anyone that gets near him, he is very playful.

I will check his Temp. - Rectal is 104.1
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks.

He does have a pretty good fever. Normal is 100-102. > 103 is considered a fever. My guess is that it's a stomach bug or intestinal bug causing the nausea, reluctance to open his mouth and fever.

The one thing to be aware of is Parvo VIrus. This is a common virus in young dogs/ puppies that are not vaccinated. Usually we see vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and anorexia with Parvo. If signs persist, then he should be seen and treated right away.

If you want to give something tonight for the nausea, you can give over the counter Pepcid ac (Famotidine) at 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours.

If no improvement by morning, then I would get him seen and started on antibiotics and other meds (GI protectants, pain meds) as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.