Experience:  dasdasd

Can Benadryl help with a possible irritated trachea And does

Can Benadryl help with a possible irritated trachea? And does an irritated trachea ever heal on its own?

I have a 7 month old Shepard mix who escaped a wire crate and I believe injured its trachea in the process - initially vomiting foam, clear liquid, some food - but five days later the cough appears only upon excitement. If the dog has had a very intense day of playing, barking, etc. then the cough can appear at night. But it's subsided significantly.

I'm eager to hear from you. And thank you!!

From what you describe, traumatic irritation of the trachea is possible. However, the cough may have started at the same time of the crate escape by coincidence only. As a young puppy, I would also consider an infectious cough as a strong possibility.

Since he is already improving, I wouldn't be very concerned. Benadryl will not help in this case. Because of the possibility of an infectious cough, I do not even recommend a cough suppressant.

I would continue to watch him through the end of the week. If the cough does not resolve significantly, or if he appears worse - loss of appetite, depression etc, he should be seen by the vet.

Good luck.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click on the green Accept button. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Thanks.