Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

How can I increase milk production in my lactating bitch

This is a complicated question, because decreased milk letdown can be caused by nutritional problems, infection, hormonal changes, etc..

This link may answer several of your questions, some other issues, as well as, some ideas for therapy to consider with your veterinarian.

There is mention of injections like oxytocin, but that will be up to your vet if necessary to try.

http://www.royalcanin.us/library/lactation-in-dogs.aspx

I hope that article is helpful.
Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Herra has no underlying health problems and has not had her litter yet but by the size of her I think that she will have a big litter and was just after some general answers like what food to give her to help with her milk production.
Oh.
Well, great info anyway. The bottom of the article talks about the nesting and how even temperature can affect lactation.

The key components I believe are ensuring she is on good nutritious food (which should be a puppy diet) and ensure frequent and proper suckling to stimulate let-down.

May I be of any further assistance?

Oh...Here are some other links I thought you may like to have:

Whelping
.
Multiple Links on Newborn Care
.
Dystocia Link (Difficulty with Birth)

Good Luck