Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  B.S.; D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774

My dog has a swollen elbow on his left arm...he seems to be

Customer Question

My dog has a swollen elbow on his left arm...he seems to be in pain in that only in that area. Our vet offices are closed for the weekend, so what can we do to ease the pain....???

Thanks!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 5 years ago.

Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine

Aspirin is really the only medication that you can give OTC. The dose (5mg/lb body weight) can be given every 12-24 hours. Use buffered aspirin, not enteric-coated (the coating can allow it to accumulate).

Warm moist compresses (like a soaking wet washcloth) may help as well.

If this seems to be worsening I would advise having him seen on emergency. Something like an infection could become quite serious. I would be especially concerned if he has or does quite eating.

Kindly,

Dr. Elaine

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Warm compresses is a great idea!! I think he may have sprung it, if it were broken, would I know? What are the signs of a broken arm?

If there were a complete fracture, the arm below the fracture would be very unstable, and he would not be bearing weight on the limb, as it would collapse under him. He most likely would be in severe acute pain any time he moved, as that is when a fracture really hurt--i.e. when the bone ends are not stabilized and impinge upon the overlying soft tissues.

Kindly,

Dr. Elaine