Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 7 years of practice
16703648

My puppys (9 weeks old) intestine (I think) is hanging out

My puppy's (9 weeks old) intestine (I think) is hanging out of his anus. He is still playful and still eats his food and drinks water. He tries to go to the bathroom but nothing is coming out. It literally looks like a big read ball hanging out. PLEASE HELP!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christie replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Christie :

Welcome to JustAnswer, this is Dr. Christie.

Dr. Christie :

It sounds as if Kendall is experiencing a rectal prolapse. This occurs when the rectal mucosa comes out of the rectum.

Dr. Christie :

It can happen due to increased pressure, constipation, a foreign body, irritation, etc

Dr. Christie :

You can try putting some vaseline or ky jelly on the mucosa and pushing it fully back into Kendalls colon

Dr. Christie :

If this does not keep it internal, you need to get Kendall to your vet ASAP!

Dr. Christie :

If the mucosa stays outside the body, it can dry out, lose it's blood supply and basically die and become necrotic

Customer:

Should I give it 24 hours to see if it works or will I know immediately if I need to take him to the vet? His momma (also our dog) has been licking it. Is that ok for her?

Customer:

I really appreciate your help, thank you so much!

Dr. Christie :

You can certainly wait overnight, but make sure you are keeping the tissue moist with ky jelly or vaseline. If the mother dog is licking it, keep him separated as this will dry out the tissue

Customer:

Ok. Thank you again, I really appreciate you!

Dr. Christie :

If it has not gone back in by morning OR more of the tissue starts coming out, you have no other option than to get him to a vet ASAP!

Customer:

Ok, will do

Dr. Christie :

Do you have any further questions for me?

Dr. Christie :

If I have been helpful, please click the green 'Accept' button so I can be compensated for my time.