DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in small animal medicine treating dogs and cats.
23497452

my dog keeps chewing but there is nothing in her mouth. she

my dog keeps chewing but there is nothing in her mouth. she has consumed feminie pads within the past 2 weeks and im curious if she has one in her throat. She eats and drinks but continues you chew as though she is trying to get something up and out. what should i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrChristineM replied 5 years ago.
Hi thank you for contacting JustAnswer. I just have a couple of questions for you.

She is still eating and drinking 100% normally?

Has she been vomiting at all?

How long has she been doing this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it started 2 days ago, she is eating treats, and i have fed her some lunch meat, but she hasnt really been herself. she has not yet vomitted but when she ate the feminine pads before she threw them up. Its kinda like when you have a hair in the back of your throat or something and you are trying to get in up but shes not gaggin, its more of a chattering but then she will look like she is chewing.
Is she drooling at all?

Does she do this continuously or does it come and go?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it comes and goes but she does it a few times within the hour. I just gave her a carrot and watched her eat it and she took her time with it, normally with any treat she will consume it quick.
Ok, I don't think she has anything in her throat or I would expect her to be coughing or gagging in an attempt to move it. There are a couple of things this could be--since she is doing it around meals (correct?) she may have a bad tooth or gum pain that is causing this. The other, more serious possibility is seizures--some seizures called partial seizures, can present with just abnormal movements like this. I would say it's more likely that she has something going on in her mouth (tooth abscess, loose tooth, gum pain or swelling) that is causing this, and this would be fairly easily checked by a oral exam by your vet.

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer any other questions.