Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

Can I give ActiFlex 4000 (which is for horses I am told) to

Customer Question

Can I give ActiFlex 4000 (which is for horses I am told) to my arthritic Australian Shepherd - 51 lbs. One of my friends give this to her greyhouds.

If it is okay,how do I break down the dosage?
Thanking you in advance.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
Hello there,

The ingredients in Actiflex can all be used in dogs but the concentration would make dosing for a dog difficult. The company makes a canine version which is much more dilute than the equine version. I would go with that instead of trying to use the horse version. Here is a link to the canine version:

http://www.coxvetlab.com/products/acti-flexk9.htm
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have completed one quart of this product and I don't see any improvement in his condition. Any suggestions?

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
There should have been improvement seen within 3-4 weeks of use. If there have been no results the dog will likely need an oral anti-inflammatory instead. There are several in the market. Rimadyl, deramaxx, metacam and Erigeron are most common. Joint products only lubricate the joints. They do nothing for inflammation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do those drugs have any long term affects?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
All anti-inflammatories can have side effects. Stomach upset is most common. All drugs have to go through the liver and kidneys. Over time you can see elevated enzymes in some dogs on long term medication. Monitoring blood tests are done in those cases every 6-12 months to make sure no problems develop.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tHANK YOU
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome. Good Luck!