Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.

we think the dog ate a small plastic water bottle cap will

we think the dog ate a small plastic water bottle cap will it pass or should we take the to the vet it was pretty small like the size of a nickel and half an inch tall
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 5 years ago.

Hi there --

Welcome to Just Answer.

THe biggest single piece of information I am missing is how big your dog is ---

If he is bigger than 50 lbs -- this would likely pass --

I would give about a teaspoon to a tablespoon of olive or mineral oil to help lubricate the system -- too much will give diarrhea. This should pass in 3-5 days.

If your dog is less than 30 pounds -- this may not pass-- so you will need to watch for indication of any blockage (lack of stools, loss of appetite, tiredness, abdominal pain, and vomiting) . Any of these would indicate an ER visit

In between these -- it may or may not cause an issue --

Another couple of points ----

1) If Your dog just ate this in the pst 1-2 hours--- then inducing vomiting with hydrogen peroxide (1tsp per 5-10 pounds) with bread --- usually takes 20 minutes -- and can be repeated once. This is ok to do if your dog is in good health

2) The best approach would be to go to yrou vet and have an x ray done to see whether this has been eaten -- as it may not have. This will show where it is and how much problem it may pose.

3) There can be removal of the object surgically or by endoscope (if it is in the stomach)

before it could cause a problem.

If you have questions -- you can write me back --Shortly -- I will be away for an hour or so --

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian