DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559

my dog is shaking and panting really hard, also he threw up

Customer Question

my dog is shaking and panting really hard, also he threw up this morning and when ever i try to pick him up he cries
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrRalston replied 5 years ago.
Wow, what kind of dog and how old please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
lhasa apso and almost 3yrs
Expert:  DrRalston replied 5 years ago.
Shaking and panting can be a sign of pain. That pain can result in nausea as well and lead to vomitting. Has there been any recent change in diet including table scraps or trash items?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my parents fed him table scraps more then regular dog food
Expert:  DrRalston replied 5 years ago.
If that is the case, I would especially be concerned about pancreatic inflammation if the pain seems to be in the stomach area just behind the ribs. It is good idea to take him to your Veterinarian to be sure. They may want to perform x-rays or a simple blood test to rule out pancreatitis. If the pain is lower down in the abdomen in that breed I would consider urinary bladder stones. Any trouble urinating?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nope he urinates just fine. but he does have pain just below the ribs
Expert:  DrRalston replied 5 years ago.
That definitely sounds like something you should have checked by your Veterinarian. If it is a mild pancreatic flare up, your Vet may be able to give him some anti-nausea medicine to keep him from vomiting. Your pet should
also be on a low fat, easy to digest diet like chicken and rice (a half cup or so of each). A severe case of pancreatitis could require hospitalization with IV fluids, so it really is better to get him in while it is early. Also, they
may want to take a radiograph to be sure there isn't also a foreign object in the stomach. Good luck, please let me know how it goes.
Expert:  DrRalston replied 5 years ago.
Have I helped you? Do you have more questions?