Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

Are there drugs to make a dog come into heat we have a bitch

Customer Question

Are there drugs to make a dog come into heat we have a bitch that train daily and runs hunt tests but she has hot come into heat for over one year we would like to breed her one time she is now six years old thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 3 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there -- Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Is there any known reason for her not coming into heat ? any hormone levels taken etc?

Customer : No she has come into heat in the past the reason that we ask is that we are involved in the swine industry and there it is used very often with gilts and sows
Dr. BJ Hughes :

There are a number of factors that might be in play here -- Yes -- PG 600 is approved for swine use -- and can be given extralable to dogs by a vet. However, having said that, it is not approved for this use in this species and results of efficacy and side effects in studies are not available -- so the risks are not able to be determined.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The best way to figure out why a dog is not coming into heat is to tract progeterone levels and see if there is any variance -- over time --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Also to visualize the repro tract via ultrasound --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

As cyctic ovaries, uterine growths, and endocrine disorders can all cause this --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This testing, however, does have expense involved --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and is not a quick easy fix --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

And the medication Lutalyse is not advised in dogs at all -- though used in other species --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There are breeders who discuss the use of PG600 from swine product -- but you will need a swine vet to administer and they will have to be willing to take the risks fo the medication.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Here is a link to some additional information -- though on a scottish terrier link -- it is good veterinary information on breeding, heat cycles, and infertility in general .

Customer : What are the possible side effects will it cause.
Dr. BJ Hughes :

I am searching for any reliable information on the efficacy and side effects in dogs -- and am unable to find a good source --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I see that there can be pain with administration, multiple shots (2-3) -- and it is given in the leg muscle -- and that results vary

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Found a published resource that reviewed a number of possible medicaitons used to bring dogs into heat --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

But it is in abstract form and does not list the details in this format --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Biggest short term factors seem to be variable results, change in behavior, and unknown long term side effects and undocumnetation of short term health side effects ---

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You may find more on a breeder forum for pitbulls and greyhounds -- but information is not from any published or data backed study .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian