Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Hello I used tea tree oil on my dog and she has gotten sick

Hello I used tea tree oil on my dog and she has gotten sick what can I do?
Where was this tea tree oil applied? How much was applied? How much does Dinky weigh?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Topical for fleas she weights approx 8 to 10 lbs her entire body she will not stand on back legs
Tea tree oil is toxic to dogs, when enough of a quantity is applied. Small dogs are especially at risk of this, and we can see an inability to walk and move, due to the toxic effects of this product. Unfortunately lots of so-called experts tout the benefits of tea tree oil, while completely disregarding the side effects.

A thorough bathing with a degreasing dish soap should help to remove most of the oil left on the skin. However, depending on Dinky's level of debilitation at this time, veterinary care may be needed in order to provide appropriate supportive measures until the toxin has left her body. The inability to move can last for 24-36 hours or more depending on the severity of the situation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can this kill her? I would loose my mind if I hurt her this bad
Liver failure has been reported in dogs receiving doses of tea tree oil intended as a flea prevention. Hopefully Dinky isn't one that will be so sensitive, but it is a possibility that this could be life threatening. therefore, prompt veterinary attention is the best option.