Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Can I give my dog benadryl and antibiotics at the same tim

Can I give my dog benadryl and antibiotics at the same time?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that is perfectly fine.
Many veterinarians will prescribe benadryl or an antihistamine like hydroxyzine at the same time as antibiotics to treat allergies and the secondary skin infections that occur.

However, I would suggest trying to avoid giving that exactly at the same time, to try and avoid stomach upset.

In addition, unless directed to give the antibiotic on an empty stomach, always better to give with some food.

I hope that info helps.
Good Luck

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. Please excuse any delays in my responses, as I regularly attend to hospitalized patients and daily examinations. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.