CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog keeps walking in circles, he is 13 years old, his left

My dog keeps walking in circles, he is 13 years old, his left eye has lost most of its sight. He is eating, drinking and going to the bathroom. He does not want to be held. I think he is also is loosing his hearing
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

When did the walking in circles start?

Is the head tilted to one side?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He started walking in circles two days ago. His head is not tilted to one side. He usually has head down, but will look up.
From description of the circles, you are describing vestibular disease.

When there are problems with the vestibular system - you tend to be dizzy, disoriented, and at times even have nausea.

In general, there are 2 types of vestibular disease

1) Central vestibular disease - such as a brain tumor

2) Peripheral vestibular disease - either inner ear disease or even a stroke like episode that we classify as Idiopathic Vestibular Disease

I would see a veterinary as soon as possible for evaluation.

Medications you can discuss with your veterinarian in an attempt to improve quality of life and vestibular signs would either meclizine or cerenia - which are excellend for nausea and the vestibular nature of this disease.

You can even get meclizine over the counter at your local pharmacy or grocery store to give 25mg once per day.

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinaria