Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog had a tick and there is a red ring around it. What does

My dog had a tick and there is a red ring around it. What does that mean?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about Lady.

It generally means that the skin is having an inflammatory reaction to the tick bite. It can also suggest that some of the mouth parts of the tick have been left behind.

When this irritation is present, I do recommend a veterinary examination. Sometimes, even oral antibiotics can be necessary. It does not necessarily mean that the tick has transmitted a disease like Lyme, but it is always possible. Well worth the checkup.

Good Luck

I greatly appreciate when you click "ACCEPT" if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.

The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency.