Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

My male Boxer seems to have nasal congestion and phlegm in

My male Boxer seems to have nasal congestion and phlegm in the evenings and morning (which he throws up). Could this be due to his short puggier nose? Have taken temp, which is normal, he eats very well and is very active. He is appx 3 yrs old now.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

HI there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This type of morning and evening nasal congestion may be related to a bit of inflammation in the nasal passages (allergies ??) and the type of nose --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Benedryl is a safe medication to trial and can be used in this type of situation at a dosage up to 1 mg per pound every 8 hours -- so it could be used long term nightly --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Antihistamines in general are safe to use long term with few side effects -- obviously -- use of the least amount necessary is recommended.

Customer:

I have the pills 25mg and there have been occassions where he has a small amount of pink in the clear mucus

Customer:

Not much however

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Those are fine to use -- If there is a change in appetite, increased or colored nasal discharge, difficulty in breathing or other symptoms then a vet visit is recommended.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If it is responding to the antihistamine there is likely an allergic compinent -- and inflammation that is made a bit worse by the nose structure.

Customer:

Would liquid be better? I want whats best for him. Otherwise he is normal for a boxer

Customer:

His nasal discharge isn't bad, just a drip here and there

Customer:

He has snoring really badly some nights

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Actually most dogs do not like the taste of the liquid form --so if he takes the pills, these are fine.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The antihistamine is ok to manage this -- may be wise to have a vet listen to lungs and look up into the nose to be sure there is nothing else of concern .

Customer:

Great, I piece of cheese and the pills will work for me and I appreciate your help so much.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome

Customer:

Will get earplugs for the sleep

Dr. BJ Hughes :

LOL ;-)

Customer:

Bye have a great dau

Customer:

day

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You too !

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian