CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my dog has black skin, kinda like elephant skin. it has gotten

Customer Question

my dog has black skin, kinda like elephant skin. it has gotten worse in the last month. it gets really dark in color when he barks or is anxious. what kind of treatment can i give him to make it go away?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is he scratching or rubbing the area with this skin?

-
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no he doesn't.
Can you take a picture of the area to view?

-
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes give me a minute
ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
graphic
Excellent picture! What this picture is showing is not only irritation, but changes to the pigment of the skin from chronic irritation.

He must be scratching or rubbing the area when you are not looking as this would be classic hyperpigmentation.

Just like a guitar player gets a callus on his finger from chronic use of the thumb, chronic irritation will cause the skin to change in this area - and become "hyperpigmented" or black.

In a case such as this, if there is any theory that there may be allergies - if not already tried - you might want to see if an antihistamine such as Benadryl helps. The dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 25 pound dog should receive 25mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 12 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

Moreover, you may want to make an appointment with your veterinarian to see if there is an infection that would need antibiotics.

I hope this information is helpful.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have used the "cone" for weeks at a time because I thought he had been licking himself but it didn't go away. Will it ever go away with the use of Benadryl?
If the irritation and scratching/rubbing stop - yes, it will resolve.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you know why with "barking and excitement" they seem to get darker?
It is likely blood flow to the area and vasodilation.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, thank you. Hope the Benadryl is enough
Glad to help!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The benadryl is not working, is there anything else it might be
It may be a fungal or bacterial infection and a skin scraping and possible culture would be needed to diagnose this.