VetCares
VetCares, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets

My Rhodesian Ridgeback has developed many black/purplish spots

Customer Question

My Rhodesian Ridgeback has developed many black/purplish spots that concentrate on her chest but also are on her belly and close to her neck. They seem very close to the surface, almost like a tattoo. They are not rised or inflamed and she does not appear sick in any way. She has had them for 2 weeks now and don't appear to be dissipating. Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.

VetCares :

Hello and thanks for posting. Are these areas bruises? How is Banjo's attitude?

Customer:

No, they are definitely not bruises because they are not diminishing and are clustered together, each one about the size of the end of a pencil. Most are on her chest. Her attitude is great.

VetCares :

not diminishing doesn't mean they are not bruises-I am limited by my inability to see these spots, but I am concerned if these are purplish bruise-like spots, vs. something on her skin-like she has been dusted by black pepper.

Customer:

They could be the color of a bruise, but they are all "splayed" on her underside, neck to vagina. I fail to see how she could have been "bruised" on her entire underside.

VetCares :

the reason I am trying hard to make the distinction--if she is having diffuse bruising, it is potentially quite serious

VetCares :

could she have gotten into rat poision anywhere?

Customer:

what is diffuse bruising?

VetCares :

looks like there is a large area of purplish /blackish/reddish bruises appearing in more than one area.

Customer:

hmmmm, I though of the fertilizer that was sprayed on our lawn recently. She drank some standing water that may have had runoff from the treatment.

VetCares :

one second. I am going to see if I can link you to some pictures.

VetCares :

can you also life up her lip and tell me if there are any red spots on her gums? You'll have to look at pink areas--not where her gums are black

VetCares :

these would look like pinpoint red spots

VetCares :

lift*

Customer:

Nope, the gums are fine

VetCares :

are her gums nice and pink with no red spots?

Customer:

Yes, looks healthy

VetCares :

ok. the big thing that she needs to be ruled out for is something called immune meditaed thrombocytopenia. Sometimes we don't get to know why it happens, but it is destruction of her platelets, which are responsible for blood clotting. the third picture down on this link shows a dog with purplish bruising from this. http://www.peacefulpawsreiki.com/index.php?p=1_3_About

VetCares :

otherwise, sho could have a contact hypersensitivity from the fertilizer. There is no possiblity ofher getting into mouse/rait bait?

VetCares :

(pardon my typos-typing fast)

Customer:

no, this picture does not resemble her condition. Banjo has an accumulation of individual "dots". They do not resemble a bruise at all except in color. We live on 5 acres and she is not able to leave the yard so I highly doubt that she got in to poison. I can only think of the fertilizer that was sprayed on Feb 17. Since she doesn't appear to be sick or reacting, do you think the dots will just go away?

VetCares :

where are you geographically?

VetCares :

these could also be insect bites if the bugs are out where you are.

Customer:

30 miles east of Seattle

Customer:

No bugs this time of year except maybe spiders?

VetCares :

I would presume that the dots will go away. Of course the caveat remains that I can't see her and therefore can't be 100% sure what it is that is affecting her. yes.. spider bites can look like this too

VetCares :

I will alwyas urge a vet check for things--always better safe than sorry :)

VetCares :

unfortunately, a physicl exam is a big part of diagnosing what the possibilities might be in this particular case.

VetCares :

physical*

VetCares :

I guess I haven't been particulalry helpful, but at least we've ruled out a very serious possibility-- I hope she resolves soon!

Customer:

One more question.............if it is immune meditaed thrombocytopenia, does this mean the spots are caused from internal bleeding?

VetCares :

yes! that is why I am alarmed by this.

Customer:

OK, I better get her to her vet. Thanks

VetCares :

best to you--kindly do click on accept as it is the only way the site credits me. I wish you both the best- Dr. A

Customer:

I am trying to "accept" but a pop up says the expert has not finished with my answer???

VetCares :

oh! I am sorry- I had us in an information request so that you could read the commentary and wouldn't have to accept until we were done. I'll cahnge it. please try again- much appreciated! :)- Dr. A

VetCares, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets
Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.
Any results from the vet visit today? Just curious as to what was going on? I hope that she is still her happy self--Dr. A