VetCares, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets

My dog hacks and gags, like she has something in her throat

Customer Question

My dog hacks and gags, like she has something in her throat she has been doing it for awhile, I have taken her to the vet and they did a chest xray, but showed nothing, also put her on blood pressure meds, doesn't seem to help she is 12 years old. Sometimes she vomits, and she pants alot
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  VetCares replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for posting. I am wondering if your dog is suffering from laryngeal paralysis as it isn't an uncommon thing for older labradors to develop. My suggestions to you is to go to which is the website for the American Animal Hosp Assoc. There is a find a vet function on the site. AAHA certifies hospitals who voluntarily undergo a testing/certifying procedure. Having AAHA accreditation means a certain standard of progressive care. Of course there are many excellent vets at non certified hospitals, but it is a way to ensure that I am directing you to good care for Cassie when I am not familiar with your area. Meanwhile, your current vet should pass along any test results and loan you the x-ray so that you do not have to have testing repeated. I hope that this is helpful. I also attach a link for more information about laryngeal paralysis, I wish the best to you and Cassie-- Dr. A