Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas
49838867

My dog is 16 years old, losing weight, has a funny smell, falls

My dog is 16 years old, losing weight, has a funny smell, falls down, constantly panting and pacing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.

Dr Kara :

Hello. I'm sorry to hear that Angel isn't doing well.

Dr Kara :

I'm assuming she's on Previcox and Tramadol for arthritis pain and Proin for incontinence.

Customer:

Yes

Dr Kara :

Do you think that they are helping? Are you using glucosamine/chondroitin products and omega-3 fatty acids too? Is the Mirtapazine to stimulate her appetite? And is it helping?

Customer:

Her appetite is not good. She eats only one can of Eno a day. Not using glucosamine not omega-3 fatty acids.

Dr Kara :

Has she had bloodwork to evaluate her organ function? If not then I'd recommend that as any nonsteroidal drug (previcox) is stressful on her kidneys and liver and can cause gastrointetsinal irritation. All of that will affect her appetite and change her breath.

Customer:

Okay.

Dr Kara :

The panting and pacing may be due to pain, either arthritis or gastrointestinal or it may be due to early senility signs too. Do you feel she's better since on Tramadol and Previcox?

Customer:

I have not noticed a difference on Tramadol and Previcox. She is very destructive when left alone - has high anxiety and needs to stay close to me. She is alos 16 which is very old.

Dr Kara :

I understand. So I'm wondering if her problems are more loss of neurologic function leading to weakness and organ disease which will affect her brain function from waste products building up as well as early senility. I'm so sorry for you and her, this must be tough.

Customer:

I have to get to my office. Thanks for talking to me.

Dr Kara :

I suspect she gets very anxious without you as you are her "guide"

Dr Kara :

I see that you need to get to work. Do you want to continue this converstion later?

Customer:

Yes please.

Dr Kara :

Or I can give you my recommendations based on your history ands you can read them and reply later with questions?

Dr Kara :

I'm going to switch to Q&A to save this for later.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry you both are in this position.

First I would have her bloodwork checked to find out if it's organ disease and waste buildup that are causing some of her symptoms.

If all is well internally then I have to think that she is experiencing senility. She gets anxious when she is alone and you are gone because she is lost. She probably doesn't remember where she is and panics. You are her only comfort, much like a person with alzheimers. She may respond to a diet called B/D made by Hills and a drug called Anipryl (selegilene). These are designed to treat senility. Bach's rescue remedy is another option (homeopathic) for calming anxiety.

Unfortunately she may not respond to any of these things and you might need to consider euthanasia. I know it will be a very hard decision to make but I suspect she is quite miserable the way she is now. I think her anxiety the way she is now is so sad.

Please let me know if you have any questions or wish to discuss this any further by replying to this post.

Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas