Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.

For a 16 lb dachshund what is the proper dose of valium

For a 16 lb dachshund what is the proper dose of valium?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

So sorry for your diagnosis, that must be terrible

Customer:

yes very and I know we will probably have to put her down tomorrow however I am a single mom, my 7 yr old daughter is sounds asleep it's icey raining outside and I would just like to keep her comfortable for the night here vs taking her to be put down at an emergency vet. She gets 5 mg pred 1 time a day, gave the extra dose this evening. She gets 16.2 2 in am, 2 in pm and 1 at bedtime and we have had good control of seizures until today she has had 5 since 3 pm today. I am a nurse and I know valium helps human seizures and I have 5 mg tabs at home. My question is what is the proper dose and how frequently can I give it to keep her comfortable?

Customer:

.16.2 of the phenobarb that is. sorry its hard to think straight and type through the tears.

dogdoc4u :

Sorry...

dogdoc4u :

1/2 to 3/4 tablet

dogdoc4u :

You can mix it with some water, crush it, put it in 3 ml syringe and give it rectally during a seizure if you need

Customer:

I will give her a half tab now po but in how many hours could I give her another half if I needed to. Just trying to prepare for a long night.

dogdoc4u :

Give me one moment and I will look it up. Usually you can redose once within minutes if warranted but let me double check

Customer:

no problem I just gave her a dose now. I just do not want to see my sweet little baby girl suffer and struggle throughout the night.

dogdoc4u :

It looks like I tend to use the lower end dose so you have quite the range for the evening: 0.25-1 mg/pound

dogdoc4u :

So if you begin with half a tab, you can probably go up to 3 full tablets within a 12 hour period...

dogdoc4u :

I would usually not recommend that dose to a dog but this is an unusual circumstance and comfort is of the utmost importance

dogdoc4u :

Are you there? Is there anything else I can do? I am so sorry you both are having to go through this

dogdoc4u :

I wouldn't let go of her tonight... so sorry

Customer:

Sorry stepped away to check on my daughter. thank you so much for helping her and I. I have every intent of snuggling with her as I do every night and I am very greatful that we have had the time we have had with her. They told us 30-90 days when we did the MRI and we made to 120 days. My other doxie is 14 and i worry about her being lonely, taht will be the next challenge in our lives. Thanks again for your medical advice and your compassion. Heidi and Payton from Bartlett, Il.

dogdoc4u :

Glad I was able to help, I truly wish you the best the next 24 hours. Have strength in knowing you did everything you could and enjoy what little time you have left. I lost my beloved friend a year ago and not one day goes by still where I don't long for her back...

Customer:

Truly the only bad trait that dogs have is that they do not live as long as humans, otherwise they are perfectly amazing and loving little beings. Thanks again. So sorry for your loss as well.

dogdoc4u :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX tonight...

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.