CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog is drinking a lot of water an is gaining weight where

Customer Question

My dog is drinking a lot of water an is gaining weight where is is over weight. He does not over eat an does not get treats very ofter . He gets treats maybe a couple of doggie bones once or twice week an some weeks he does not get any. He is a inside dog an I do let him out side in back yard to run an play but he rather be inside with us after about 5 or 10 minutes he wants to be back in. My gog is A cocker an i am guessing but I think he must weight about 50 pounds were I think his normal weight is about 30 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Do yuo think that he pants more than you would expect?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no

With the signs you report, notably the drinking of water - I would recommend testing for both diabetes and cushings disease.

The thyoid should also be tested, but is not likely the cause of the water intake, although it could cause the weight gain.

_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian