Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

I think my dog has Mange... is there an over the counter medication

I think my dog has Mange... is there an over the counter medication or shampoo that can aid in curing the condition... Her symptoms are hair loss on her hind side and continuous itching. Ive used flee shampoo and don't believe its that...

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

There are a number of causes for hairloss and itchiness in a dog. Certainly Sarcoptic mange is very itchy and also very contagious. Has she been anywhere she could have been in contact with other dogs--groomer, day care, etc?

Dr. Scarlett :

Is the hairloss and scratching on her lower back, above her tail, or on one side of her body?

Customer:

on the side and underneath... she also nips at her hind end.. she has redness and some legions on her hind end also

Customer:

hair loss is mostly on her hind end and underneath

Customer:

she has had limited contact with other dogs

Dr. Scarlett :

Fleas are still a distinct possibility. Flea shampoos are only effective at killing adult fleas while the shampoo is on the dog. Once it is rinsed off, fleas from the environment will hop right back on. A dog with a flea allergy will be very itchy from just one flea bite. So it is very important to apply an effective flea preventative product. I recommend Frontline.

Customer:

We have used that and she also wears a flee colar

Dr. Scarlett :

If she doesn't have much contact with other dogs, I would be surprised if she had mange. Your vet can do a skin scrape to diagnose Demodex, but Sarcoptic mites are much harder to find. But if the vet suspects sarcoptes, then ivermectin injections will be given and it clears up pretty quickly. There really isn't any OTC product that will help with mange.

Dr. Scarlett :

Glad to hear she has Frontline on. Don't waste your money on flea collars--they only protect a few inches around the collar and fleas tend to congregate around the back end.

Customer:

Ok, great... thank you very much for you help... btw... what shampoo would u recommend

Dr. Scarlett :

Redness, circular scabby/scaly areas, and hairloss can also indicate a bacterial skin infection, often secondary to some allergy (or mange). Antibiotics are needed to clear up a skin infection and a shampoo alone is unlikey to do the trick. For infections, I like something with chlorhexidene in it. If Foxy

Dr. Scarlett :

If Foxy's skin/fur feels somewhat greasy, I also look for something with an anti-fungal. In a pinch, you could use Selsun Blue. For the itchiness, you could give her some benadryl--1 mg/pound body weight. I don't find it terribly effective when the dog is really itchy, but it might make her a little sleepy and give her (and you) some relief tonight. Rinsing her with a baking soda and water rinse might soothe her skin, too.

Dr. Scarlett :

But I would get her in to your regular vet in the morning. She might benefit from some steroids to help with the itching and treating her for the right problem with give both of you relief more quickly.

Customer:

Awesome!!.. we'll try the baking soda for now... and we'll get her to the vet ASAP! thank you so much for your time!.. Have a good evening...

Dr. Scarlett :

Good luck!