CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog is constantly licking his nose, a constant lapping motion,

My dog is constantly licking his nose, a constant lapping motion, is this normal?
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is this associated with the flea prevention applications?

Is there discharge from the nose?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure if it's associated with the flea prevention applications, I just notice it more after I've applied it. No there is no discharge from his nose.
From what you describe, it is possible we are dealing with an allergic rhinitis - associated with the medication or even other allergic causes such as anything in the environment and even foods..

In case there is an allergic component, an antihistamine can be tried. I would consider using Benadryl (diphenhydramine). The dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 25 pound dog should receive 25mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 12 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

If this does not resolve, or the signs worsen (sneezing, green or yellow discharge, etc.) then I would recommend veterinary evaluation just to make sure an antibiotic is not needed.

I hope this helps!!! Please let me know...
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.