Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian
Experience:  DABVP, Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice, Veterinarian since 2000

How long can a dog be expected to hold his bladder. We have

How long can a dog be expected to hold his bladder. We have a 2 year old Shi Tzu who is fully housetrained. Is it fair to leave him from 8-5 while we work without being taken outside?
Hello, and thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Devlin and I am happy to assist with your dog question.

An adult shih tzu should be able to hold his bladder and bowel movements for 9 hours. Many households with dogs have to leave them for 8-10 hours daily while both partners work.

I would make sure he is encouraged to exercise (or goes for a 10-15 minutes walk after breakfast before leaving for work.

Some dogs will be able to go longer if crated.

However, some adult dogs may simply not be able to go this long. Also, if he is eating a food high in fiber, he may need to defecate more often.

Doggy day care and hiring a pet sitter/walker are two other options if you don't wish to leave him for this long, of if he is unable to go this long between walks.

Please let me know how else I can help!
Laura Devlin