Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My dog is losing hair on one side of his body. Its the middle

My dog is losing hair on one side of his body. It's the middle of winter in Minnesota. What might be the cause?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Where on his body is the hair loss?

Can you think of anything that has changed recently? New food? New Treats? New household cleaning products? New dog bed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The hair loss is on his side - not on top accross his spine but the middle of his side. His routine has not changed. I have given him a new raw-hide treat, but I don't believe he has had enough of them to have an effect on him. He is a German wire-hair.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.

Is he itching or licking that spot?

Is the skin red or inflammed?

What size is the spot?

Edited by Dr. Gabby on 2/12/2011 at 10:33 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not seen him itching or licking that spot. It looks a bit red but is hard to tell as there is hair remaining - the hair is noticeably thinner over an area of about six inches.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.

I would be suspicious of demodex mange. This is more common in younger dogs. It usually causes one spot of hair loss. The skin can appear normal, be slightly red, or have some darker spots on the area. It is diagnosed with a skin scraping which is examined under the microscope. If positive, he would be given and oral or topical treatment to kill it. This type of mange is not contagious to you or other pets.

I would think if it were allergies, there would be itching and redness.

There is a condition called seasonal flank alopecia. This is where the dogs loose hair, on both sides of their flanks, in the winter time. But it is on both sides of their flanks and not just one.

www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=630 here is a good article on demodex mange

I hope this helps.

Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.